Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Worried my son's gf will cheat while he is deployed?

My son just turned 20 yrs old and has joined the army, while he was in high school he dated a girl called Jess, They dated for 2 years and during their senior year she cheated on him and they broke up. My son was heart broken from the break up and we went through a very dark, difficult time with him. This past summer they started dating again. Something I wasn`t thrilled about but I try to stay out my children's personal lives and let them make their own decisions. But he leaves for Iraq after the new year and today he came to me and said that he plans to propose on christmas eve. I want to be happy for him but I am worried that while is away Jess will cheat on him again. I don`t want to see him hurt like before and deep in my heart I don`t trust Jess. She is a nice girl but very free spirited and I have seen many face book pictures of here partying with single guys and girls alot and I fear that my son will get hurt. How can protect him with out sounding like an over bearing mother, and how can I keep and eye on Jess while he is awayWorried my son's gf will cheat while he is deployed?
I don't think your son will heed any of your warnings. I know it must be hard for a mother to sit and watch your son make mistakes that he will regret, espically when they can be avioded. He's too blinded by ';love'; to see the implications of his decisions, and you are too ';blinded'; by your love for him to understand that he must make his own choices and accept the consequences. There's no point in having him hate you for it. I would just have him know where I stand and tell him that you will love him and support him no matter what, and if things work out, great. If not, then there's still one woman in his life that truely, deeply loves him. You.





Good luck, Mom!Worried my son's gf will cheat while he is deployed?
The best you can do is to give him your strong opinion. You can't really ';protect'; him anymore, but you can definitely recommend better options for him. If you try to snoop in on your son's wife while he's away, then there is no point in trying not to sound like an overbearing mother, because you will be being an overbearing mother.


I would have to say that letting go is hard, but very necessary. He'll figure things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment